Search This Blog

Saturday, July 30, 2005

It's late, I just got back from Searcy to watch the HSBS Graduation. My church supports a fellow in that program so in representation I went with our minister, I suppose minister works for a title. It was great to see Harding again. I noticed they were renovating my old dorm, so I decided to walk through it, look at one of the rooms I used to stay in. I was telling my friend about some of the weird traditions we had at Harding. It was really good, it ended with a trip to midnight oil where we ran into some guys we knew. It is funny to hang with the minister/mentor I work with. He is a total hippy with the long hair and everything, we even drove over in a van. Who would have guessed, I found a hippy for a mentor.

It is important to have mentoring in ministry. It scares me that some 22 year olds try to leave college and get jobs with no guidance. Since I have been in graduate school the best learning I have had has been from one mentor or another, whether at the urban church I worked at or the House church I currently reside with. Somewhere along the line Christians in our movement quit getting mentors. It seems like no matter what is going on in life someone has been through something like it before, wouldn't it be nice to find someone who understood and can work through it. Shoot, AA is based on a similar principle. I suppose mentoring got a bad name some years ago when a movement in our family of Christianity broke free in Florida through a campus ministry and moved to Boston. At that point, discipling became a bad word for us main liners, as called by the international C of C'ers.

My final words, find a mentor, some Christian older than you, who is in a place you might someday want to be in.

God Bless

No comments: