Search This Blog

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Music to Dance to


“He had always been a dancer, my old professor. The music didn’t matter. Rock and roll, big band, the blues. He loved them all. He would close his eyes and with a blissful smile begin to move to his own sense of rhythm. It wasn’t always pretty. But then, he didn’t worry about a partner. Morrie danced by himself.

-Tuesday’s with Morrie

When no one is around, when it is just me, and everyone else is off doing important things I turn on music and I dance. For anyone who knows me this seem odd, but it has been consistent my whole life. As a child I played air guitar to Metalica and Led Zepplin, singing in the mirror with the door closed so no one can see.

I was listening to Beck earlier, actually Beck remixes. Beck is great himself but when you add a techno beat behind him… wow. I was listening while writing a paper. I finished my paper, and put in the soundtrack to Fiddler on Roof. Once Tradition came on, I began to dance… it makes me happy, what can I say?

To Life!!!

2 comments:

Andrew Mount said...

Keep dancing brother. Take it out into the streets. Show the joy in your life. It will inspire others to do the same... and joy is contageous.

Of course so are crabs. So make sure it is joyful dance and not crab-spreading dance.

Anonymous said...

Great observation about the AA definition of God.

If we were to contextualise this in the 'Atheistic' scenario, the 'higher power' would be the part of oneself that is 'yet to be discovered' and which would be able to generate perspectives and solutions 'unbeknownst' to the present self. This is why 'humanism' and 'atheism' still look to the 'unknown' for solutions (the undiscovered part of the self) to the present even if they choose to see this as a non-religious perspective. The 'religious' too do the same thing where they focus on the unknown(God) to improve the known(the present, present self). God in this sense is the vehicle that is geared to the realisation of the self. Atheism is a necessary component of religion and is actually the part which says, 'help themselves' - the whole phrase is 'God helps those who help themselves'.

I will discuss in a future essay why the former part of the statement is necessary for the realisation of the latter.