Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

...and he descended into Hell

Just wanted to blog to say hi. I am on call at Methodist hospital tonight it is 12:38 in the morning and I am just trying to come down off a rather interesting night hoping to be able to sleep in about thrity minutes for the rest of the night. I think God was watching over me tonight. I have had to deal with hard situations and every time I have been told how helpful I was.
The apostles creed says:
I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:
Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into hell.
The third day He arose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.
Amen

A lot of people have issue with the ...and he decended into Hell phrase, I don't because I completely change its meaning to fit what I do and throw the tradition of it out the window. It is what a chaplain does. I was in the ER tonight and there were plenty of people in Hell. They were in hell some of their own making and some as consequence of others but what I would describe what they were going through is hell.
Any person who chooses to descend into hell with them must be crazy. But that is their job. It is the job of therepists, ministers, chaplains, social workers, doctors, nurses, law enforcement, firemen. Who chooses to run into a burning building? Jesus. It is nice though after I run into a busy ER to know that I have been helpful, because that brings about ressurection.
Maybe these are just the ramblings of a tired man... But I wonder, have you ever descended into hell? I would bet that at some time in life you have. If you are willing to talk about it I would like to read about it.

No comments: