Search This Blog

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Knockdown Society

Last night, a buddy called me and said "hey Justin, you remember when you told me to tell you when Jimbo is playing in town?"
I said "Yes."
My buddy said, "He's playing tonight at Newby's."
I was like, "dude, I'm there."

What sucked about it was that I had gotten my wires crossed on another social engagement I thought was supposed to be the next day but it was that same night. I felt bad but I ended up going to see Jimbo, the venue was closer and it was music I really wanted to hear.

If you wonder who Jimbo Mathus is, he started a band many some years ago called "The Squirrel Nut Zippers," they are no longer together but they were amazing, so I have been wondering what his stuff was like now.
Jimbo has switched from the 20's and 30's style throwback swing to blues, which makes sense, because he moved to Clarksdale Mississippi (think Delta Blues). I couldn't stay the whole night, I had forgotten my earplugs so my ears were ringing and he didn't start twill 12:30 or 1:00 in the morning. The part of the show I saw kicked... well you know that part of the body that gets kicked when things are awesome.

So I walked away from the night in awe that I had met Jimbo Mathus.

1 comment:

Jesse Faris said...

i LOVE the squirrel nut zippers! we used to listen to them all the time back in the day. very cool!

(surprise, by the way, with this very random post!)