Search This Blog

Saturday, February 04, 2012

Looking forward to the next grow year

The mild winter in Mississippi has got me antsy to get going toward this years growing season. I have been looking into different options for vegetables and fruits, I have expanded into two worm bins, and started composting leaves to make my own potting soil. Alicia and I have been rooting around different home stores and garden web sites with consideration over this years crop.

I believe the biggest change of pace we are making is actually putting things in the ground, for any who might not know there isn't much sun in our back yard, and the yard is sloped so during heavy rain it is a waterfall, however the house is surrounded by bushes and Crepe Myrtles. The plan as of now is to replace some Crepe Myrtles with Mississippi friendly fruit trees, and replace some Azaleas with blue berries. The areas where these plants already exist are sun heavy so they should be fine. And for kicks we are going to try and grow some grapes.

Having said all of that, I understand that I have a ticking clock behind me, it is about time to start putting fruit trees in the ground and planting grapes. To do that i will have to get a chain saw, cut down some Crepe Myrtles and build and arbor for grape vines.

We have also decided to start some of our more traditional plants from seeds, so I will start the tomatoes and peppers in our little portable greenhouse. I also thought it might be fun to start some container corn, if everything goes right we MIGHT get 12 ears. This year I will start the lettuce in starter pots as to give them a 1-up.

We have also decided to try and grow as many heirloom varieties as possible. Last year was exciting and I can't wait to start uploading pictures for this year

No comments: